Economics of Agricultural Development
Economics of Agricultural Development examines the causes, severity, and effects of poverty, population growth, and malnutrition in developing countries. It discusses potential solutions to these problems, progress made in many countries in recent years, and the implications of globalization for agriculture, poverty, and the environment.
Topics covered in the book include:
* Means for utilizing agricultural surpluses to further overall economic development
* The sustainability of the natural resource environment
* Gender issues in relation to agriculture and resource use
* The contribution of agricultural technologies
* The importance of agricultural and macroeconomic policies as related to development and trade, and the successes and failures of such policies
* Actions to encourage more rapid agricultural and economic development
The globalization of trade in goods, services, and capital has been fundamental to changes being experienced in the agricultural and rural sectors of developing countries. It has major implications for the fight against poverty and food insecurity and for environmental sustainability. Recently, agriculture has returned to a position of center stage in the development dialog as food price volatility has increased along with water scarcity, and concerns grow over the effects of climate change on food supply and food security.
This new edition of the essential textbook in the field builds on the 2010 edition and reflects the following developments:
* Growth in foreign demand for land and other natural resources
* Significant progress in agricultural and economic development in some low-income countries while others are being left behind
* Continued growth in demand for higher-valued farm products
This book is essential reading for undergraduate students seeking to understand the economics of agricultural development and the world food system, including environmental and human consequences, international trade, and capital flows.
This book contains a wealth of real world case studies, and is accompanied by a website that includes powerpoint lectures, a photo bank, and a large set of discussion and exam questions at http://ecagdev.agecon.vt.edu/.
- Derechos de autor:
- 2015 Jeffrey Alwang, William A. Masters, George W. Norton
Choosing a Book Format
EPUB is the standard publishing format used by many e-book readers including iBooks, Easy Reader, VoiceDream Reader, etc. This is the most popular and widely used format.
Audio DAISY format is used by GoRead, Read2Go and most Kurzweil devices.
Audio (MP3) format is used by audio only devices, such as iPod.
Braille format is used by Braille output devices.
DAISY Audio format works on DAISY compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream.
Accessible Word format can be unzipped and opened in any tool that supports .docx files.